10 TIPS FOR NEW PC GAMERS
PC gaming is a magical and mystifying world. Newcomers may find it daunting or difficult to name components, common software, or games right off the bat. Luckily, XOTIC PC has more than 20 years of experience in the PC gaming industry and we can help you get off to the right start. We took the liberty of compiling 10 tips for new PC gamers, so you can learn what and what not to do while you begin your new gaming adventure.
- Don’t Rush to Customize: Even if you’ve already built your own rig, it’s important to ease into the PC gaming experience. There’s no need to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars on cutting-edge components when you have no clue as to what hardware resources are needed to create the ultimate setup with the right specifications.
- Download a Game Library: Steam is one of the most reliable online gaming services available. Registration is free, but you will have to log your cred card information to make purchases later on. Steam offers thousands of games and allows you to share content, trade items, or even use other devices.
- Connect with Friends: Link up with friends you already know or make new friends by joining communities and groups related to gaming or your PC interests. The gaming community can provide guides and other resources as well as let you know about competitions, major events, deals, and other news related to the industry.
- Keep Up with Updates: With great power comes great responsibility, so it’s important to keep your PC up to date and ready for the action. Hardware performance is paramount to the gaming experience, and your drivers are the Achilles heel. A graphics driver should be updated often to eliminate performance issues and increase frame rate. You should also install Windows updates to keep your rig protected from malware infections or viruses.
- Keep It Clean: Canned air is a gift to gaming enthusiasts because it’s an affordable way to prevent dust buildup from impacting your PC components. Clean the case regularly and consider cooling fans if your PC starts to run hot from carrying out tasks or the electricity used by your hardware components.
- Wait for Deals on Games: Why jump the gun on a game you’ve never played when the holy grail of discounts could be waiting just around the corner? You can save by bundling or land a better bargain by waiting for a while.
- Back Up Saved Games: Hard drives can fail without any warning. If you fail to back up your saved games frequently, hard drive failure can make them disappear for good. Some online gaming programs include built-in cloud services that can synchronize some of the games you save.
- Adjust the Game Settings: Enjoy your powerful rig as it is for a while until you can discern the impact on the gaming experience in terms of hardware, settings, and other specifications. Modifications are worthwhile when you know what you need and what you can do without.
- Explore Gaming Forums: Find the answers to your burning questions or find a wealth of people to play with on message boards and in groups. Being a part of the gaming community will help you feel like less of a novice and you might just pick up a few friendly competitors along the way.
- Invest in a Better Setup: Once you’ve found your gaming groove, it’s important to take your eSports health into consideration. From the keyboard you use to the chair you spend hours sitting in, the key to your comfort and longevity is the ergonomics of your PC gaming setup.
We hope that these top 10 tips for new PC gamers is as enlightening as it is inspiring.